[WikiLeaks] The Guardian / Wikileaks spat gets weird(er) (by Guy Rundle writing in Crikey)

Gregory Foster gfoster at entersection.org
Wed Sep 14 09:50:13 CDT 2011

Nice one.  Although I've tended to steer clear of the travails of the
cult of Assange, increasingly I'm seeing such hedges as perhaps
pragmatically necessary to focus on the content of the cables but
ultimately unsupportable.  Meaning the practice of whistleblowing is
under attack, and WikiLeaks---for better and worse---is at the epicenter.

I have been not a little surprised to see some of WikiLeaks' formerly
ardent supporters fling themselves upon this latest opportunity to
publicly cut ties, rebuke affiliation, and condemn sympathy.  Looks like
the kitchen got a little too hot for most.

In particular, though, I'd like to single out Micah Sifry's equation of
Assange to Icarus, while explicitly naming someone mentioned in the
cables whom Sifry seemed to hope would have her career ruined, thus
establishing a self-fulfilling prophecy regarding endangering sources:
http://techpresident.com/blog-entry/fall-wikileaks-cablegate2-assange-and-icarus

gf

Gregory Foster || gfoster at entersection.org
@gregoryfoster<>  http://entersection.com/