[codergeeks] Help me get a job at Google
gl-davis at swbell.net
Sat Apr 15 17:57:15 CDT 2006
I wish you the best, Greg! Go for it!
Gregory Foster <gregf at navigo.com> wrote:
Hey everyone -
I'm writing to request your assistance as I move through the interview process with the Google.com Engineering Group. The position I'm going after is a jack-of-all-trades role that goes by the title of Software Engineer:
Regardless of whether I am able to get this position, I'm giving it my best shot. To do so, I would like to enlist your aid by asking for your most valuable resources focused on the following subjects.
- Introductory resources; comparisons with other languages; moving up to speed quickly.
- The interviewers are under the impression that I know nothing of this language...which is absolutely true at this moment. My strategy is to learn as much as possible in the next several days to demonstrate initiative and learning capacity.
- Refresher resources.
- System-level coding on the Linux platform.
o TCP/IP network monitoring.
- TCP/IP networking fundamental refreshers.
- Network monitoring HOWTOs; tcpdump frequently mentioned.
o Large-scale distributed systems.
- Analyses of problems addressed and encountered at scale.
- Architectural philosophies and implementations.
- If possible, specifics on Google's network architecture.
o General interview aids.
- Logic bombs causing brain core dumps.
- Problem solving strategies.
- Preying the interview.
I have been grinding away in preparation for several days and have made it through the initial weed-out screening interview. The next two rounds will be technical/behavioral interviews carried out by Senior Engineers. I'm committed to giving this my best effort, so any assistance you can offer will help me in my efforts. For people in the Austin area, a f2f meet might be best if you have the knowledge on the brainpan; we can sit down at a coffeehouse and run the voodoo down. The next interview will occur next week sometime.
Thanks in advance,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the codergeeks